So I found a tutorial for little boys ties over at Kelly's blog "Sewing in no mans land". It has solved a few issues I was trying to solve myself but getting nowhere.The main thing I wanted was to have an elastic or velcro closure around the neck. Which Kelly has done marvelously! And the best bit is these ties don't need to be cut on the bias!
The only problem I had with Kelly's pattern was I couldn't get the tail angle right so it doesn't fold to a point properly, but you can't see it so no biggy.
But I also wanted to make the tie longer, so I got out the tie pattern I have already used to make TP a few ties and just overlapped the two pieces about 6 or 7 inches to make one piece much like Kelly's.
As you can see, it is much like Kelly's only longer and with a bit more shape. I think the shape makes the knot sit a bit nicer. And this also solved my point folding problem.
So I have made 2 (on the left) for TP and 2 (on the right) for BW. The paisley blue tie is from Kelly's pattern. I am really happy with how they look and concidering that they are unlikely to hang themselves with them makes it all the better!
Overall, massive kudos to Kelly for doing something I couldn't! She has a great blog with fantastic tutorials, so go take a look you won't regret it!
Otherwise, I am back to working on things for the fete. I will do a "fete wrap-up" early next week!