Sunday, June 9, 2013

Bee Blocks and my turn!

Hi all,

I got a little behind in my bee blocks so I have a couple of months to share….

May bee blocks

These are the May blocks for Kirsten. Some more Anna Maria Horner feathers.

June bee block 1

The star blocks are for the June Queen Bee, who is Julie. I was quicker with these ones! This one is called Starburst, a block from Quiltmaker's 100 blocks Magazine Vol. 3.

June bee block 2

This one is Nova, a paper pieced block from Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks Magazine Vol. 2. Bit miffed at the angle of my fussy cut centre but I didn’t notice that it wasn’t going to be straight, I really should pay more attention!

Next month, July, is my turn to be Queen Bee! I have been thinking about what block to use for ages, I thought about the AMH feathers but that has been done twice already, I considered the Improv Chevron block but in the end I have decided to go with the Basketweave Braid Star block.

My bee blocks for myself in July

These are two that I made up so I could figure out the fabric requirements. I am using two layer cakes, Reunion and Hometown, both from Sweetwater and I think they mix together really well.

bee block prep

Here are my strips all cut….although it is a paper pieced block the fabrics are pretty much cut to size so they shouldn’t be too hard to put together. I won’t post these out for a couple of weeks but I wanted to get it done now so I can focus on some other things for the rest of the month.

blog signature

6 comments:

Lucy | Charm About You said...

You've made beautiful blocks and I love your choice :)

cat and vee xoxo said...

Gorgeous blocks that you've made for Kirsten and Julie - I think the fussy cut centre is perfect, it really doesn't matter that it isn't in a straight vertical line at all. And I really love the block you've chosen for your month! I looooove Hometown and Reunion, they are two of my favourites. Looking forward to your blocks! I'm next up after you - I have no idea how I'm going to work out fabric requirements - will have to start thinking! Hope you are enjoying the long weekend.

Janet said...

Lovely fabrics make lovely blocks, they look great. I love the feathers best of all, I have the kit for the quilt, just need to get time.

Susan said...

I love the Nova block and the quirky angle of the fussy cut centre! Your colour selection is perfect!

Kirsten said...

Lovely Blocks Jess - the Basketweave braid ones will be beautiful in the Sweetwater prints.

Oops-Lah said...

I love the block you've chosen for your bee quilt. It's going to be amazing. Well done with your other bee blocks. They all look fantastic.