Saturday, February 9, 2013

Little helpers!

Hi all,

A little story.

My 4 year old is sitting on the lounge watching the Lorax, I notice it only has 10 minutes or so left so I think I will let him finish the movie before bed. What should I do, Oh I know, I will do some more work on the next block for the Afternoon delight quilt, I might get the block finished tonight I think hopefully….where is it, oh it as fallen on the floor…I pick it up and gasp in horror.

the joys

Hmmm, I show it to the child, “who did this?” I say with dismay and anger in my voice.
”I did it” he sheepishly admits. I turn off the movie and do the bedtime routine early as punishment.

It is hard to stay angry when he admitted guilt straight away and has said sorry repeatedly while brushing his teeth and going to the toilet. And this is not the first time this has happened, No 1 son did the same thing at the same age to the appliquéd border of my Baltimore quilt – it now has a pieced border.

Moral of the story – don’t leave your sewing in the lounge room were little hands can try to help!

On a brighter note, I finished putting together the top of the American Beauty quilt.

American Beauty top

It is huge - 90” x 110”. I have to admit I forced myself to finish it today…I wanted to start other things but this was in the way. I am glad I finished it because it feels like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders and I have that “what will I start now?!” excited feeling!

blog signature

10 comments:

Charlotte said...

aaaargh!!!!!!!!! Thank goodness you hadn't finished the applique, that's all I can say!

Deidre said...

Oh dear......thankfully none of the grandkids have done this yet. Do you have enough fabric to start again? Your quilt top is stunning. Well done.

Unknown said...

Oopsy :(

Kristy @ Quiet Play said...

Oh dear!! That's upsetting!

Oops-Lah said...

Good grief, what a naughty little one you've got ;)! I'm glad you were able to stay calm! Oh well, no use crying over spilled milk, what's done is done. And I'm sure you've learned your lessen too! I love your American Beauty quilt it's stunning (I think I said it before). Now I'm wondering what comes next??

Anonymous said...

You can fix it, just lift the print and cut a square away and piece a new one in, iron the seam open of the background put your appliqué down again and once it is finishe nobody will see that the background is pieced.

:)

Mara said...

Ahhh.. Yes little helping hands, I give mine scraps because they want to "sew" But I am having a hard time keeping my needles in one place they end up all over the floor, thankfully no one has stepped on one.

Sue SA said...

Oh no! So disappointing after all that work, but at least it is only a block, the border would have been much harder to accept. So difficult to find the line between letting them be interested, "help" you and keeping them safe and your work intact! I regularly let mine play with the tape measure, but know one day something more preciuos is going to come to grief, cos scissors are such a temptation. Your American Beauty looks fab, love the colours, border fabric is divine and especially love the pink sashing stars - well done on finishing it before you started something new!

prsd4tim2 said...

Oh what a little "helper". But he was sorry. I hope you can salvage it.

The quilt top is marvelous! Nice work! It's truly stunning.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Thank goodness I didn't start quilting until my boys were old enough to know better. Sorry.