Monday, January 28, 2013

Crazy Times!

Hi all,

Well, isn’t Australia having some crazy times just lately?!

If it isn’t fires, which are apparently still burning in Victoria. It is flooding rains…Personally we haven’t been really affected by the rain and wind other than not being able to get into town because of water over roads, until this morning when we lost power. Fortunately we have a good generator set up which provides us with enough power to run the household almost as normal!

The wet

We have our own little waterfall when we get heavy rain! At one stage our driveway was completely covered in water, this photo was taken after the rain had eased off a lot. We went from having empty tanks to over-flowing in a couple of days!

Although I am very grateful for the rain because it has saved us from having to buy water, I really feel for all the people who are getting flooded again so soon after the 2011 floods. I hope all my bloggy friends are keeping dry.

Donation quilt 1

This is the finished quilt I made for the Tassie Quilt Appeal which is organised by Jess. With the constant rain for a couple of days I was able to get a lot done!

Donation quilt 3

I love this Rocket Launch Club print from the Children at Play by Sarah Jane range…And the orange chevrons go perfectly! I quilted it on my SIL’s short arm quilting machine in a freehand stipple pattern.

Donation quilt 2

I thought I would just put a simple label on this quilt so I sewed a twill tape label onto one corner.

Donation quilt 4

A great quilt for a boy I think!

In the background you might be able to see that the bank has collapsed onto the driveway….this happens every time we get heavy rain. Now we just need to wait for the driveway to dry up a bit so hubby can get the bobcat out and clean up the mess!

blog signature

5 comments:

Oops-Lah said...

Oh dear, it really is crazy with the weather, isn't it. And it's not only in Australia, but I guess the contrasts are more pronounced with dry as bone (and fires) in one place and too much rain in others. But at least it gave you the chance to finish that quilt, which turned out lovely incidentally. Did you quilt it on your normal machine or on the longarm? Yes, it will definitely make a little boy very happy.

Elyte said...

Lovely quilt for the Tassie appeal. Stay safe and dry.

Jess @ Elven Garden Quilts said...

Stay safe and dry jess! I love the quilt, it's just gorgeous :o)

Wendy said...

Your new quilt is gorgeous, I agree perfect for a boy. The flooding does look bad, I hope it returns to normal for you all soon!

Sue SA said...

Great quilt, love the quilting! Lucky you have a generator, but l guess you only have one because this isn't the first time you have lost power! Glad you are all safe and dry.