Wednesday, November 13, 2013

For the Boys blog hop

Hi guys,

I hope I am not late to the party! Some family stuff came up which delayed my post but here I am!

fortheboysbutton_zpsc46f2d87
So this blog hop is especially for the boys – things that we make for the boys and men in our lives! Hosted by Mdm Samm and our cheerleader is Amy.

If you are new to my blog please have a look around. Feel free to follow me on Bloglovin, I am also on Facebook and Instagram. I am always posting photos on Instagram so you will see what I am up too over there way before I blog about it! Links for those are on the side bar.

Now, I had a dilemma this week because the project I was going to share is going to be published so I can’t show anymore pictures….and in all honesty I haven’t finished it yet either. But I will give you a sneak peek -

Quilting

So What did I make for this blog hop? I thought for ages and came up with something that I know my youngest will need when he starts school next year and it will last him years. My oldest is still using his after 3 years!

It is a humble book bag. In our school these are used for homework, home readers and can also be used as library bags.

book bag front

I found this cool shark drill in my stash so decided to use it. It is also good if the bag stands out from the crowd so it is easy to see and be grabbed out of the box quickly.

book bag back

For the lining I used some of my sister in laws dyed fabric. I used velcro for the closure and just put a very simple handle on.

book bag handle    
I hope my post hasn’t sounded rushed! I was typing as fast as I could go!

Be sure to check out the other participants for today -

November 13th
Dachsies with Moxie
Patchouli Moon Studio
It Seams to Be Sew....
Scrappy n Happy – Here I am!
Loves to Quilt
Michelle's Romantic Tangle
Factotum of Arts
Jackie's Art Quilts
Living with purpose

Bye for now,
Jess :)

50 comments:

Oops-Lah said...

Wow, congratulations on getting something published. Well done. The little sneak peak is already looking promising. Did you quilt it yourself? Let me know where and when I can see the whole quilt.

Susan said...

Book bags are such practical sewing gifts for boys! Great job and congratulations on being puished!

Judy B said...

Wonderful book bag, sew handy! Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

The shark fabric is great and such pouches are always a nice gift! Happy sewing !

Baa. xxx said...

That is a great all round bag - love that shark material - he will love it!

DeborahGun said...

yay - congratulations on getting published :-) And a great book bag - always useful and love the sharks!

Shari said...

Congrats on getting published...your sneaky peak looks great. Love the book bag. Great way to keep library books safe inside their school bags!

charlotte said...

Very cute library bag. Love the sharks.

Sparky said...

love the sharks bag

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Congrats!! love the shark bag

Elizabeth Coughlin said...

Congrats on getting published! Both your projects are great.

Thearica said...

The shark bag is too cute!

Daryl @ Patchouli Moon Studio said...

What cute shark fabric and a nice bag. Love the sneak peek at the quilt too.

StitchinByTheLake said...

He's going to love this bag - I bet you won't be able to keep it away from him to save for next year! blessings, marlene

Agnes B. Bullock said...

Great book bag- adore the fabric!

Your upcoming quilt looks fabulous too!

Linda said...

Your book bag is wonderful, Jess! Every little boy should have something like this that his mom made for him to take to school!

krislovesfabric said...

Nice job...love your book bag!

Joyce Carter said...

Love the bag. I think it would be very handy to carry to the library as well as to school. Thank you for sharing.

Loves to Quilt said...

Love your library bag and the fabric! Terrific project!

Just Quilt It said...

Great job! I love it.

Vickie said...

Very cute bag Jess !

Carol Swift said...

Great idea for a book bag and that sneak peek looks pretty amazing!

Heidi said...

That sneak peek looks so bright & cheery!

Kathy H said...

Great little bag and I love the print you used.

Lorna McMahon said...

Nice to meet you, Jessica! The book bag is nice and bright! I'm sure your son will love it. Congrats on the publication!

CeLynn said...

This is such a useful gift,all sorts of things cold be carried around in the bag. Love the green (my favorite color)shark fabric too,a great boy choice!

Anonymous said...

The green shark bag is so cute and functional! I need to make one for my little guy. It would also work well in the car for road trips.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Let us know when and where you are published. Looks like a fun quilt.

Calicojoan said...

Well congrats on the publish. We will be waiting for the big reveal when you can show it. Love the shark patrol fabric for the book bag!

Calicojoan said...

Well congrats on the publish. We will be waiting for the big reveal when you can show it. Love the shark patrol fabric for the book bag!

Calicojoan said...

Well congrats on the publish. We will be waiting for the big reveal when you can show it. Love the shark patrol fabric for the book bag!

Leanne Parsons said...

What a fabulous shark fabric! The book bag is adorable. I'm sure it will stand out from the crowd.

Createology said...

Congratulations on your upcoming publishing. This envelope bag is very cute "For the Boys". Thanks for hopping. Creative Stitching Bliss...

Marcy said...

Neat book bag--great fabric.

Carla said...

Cool little bag. Looks very nice.

Linda C said...

Cool shark bag! The ocean blue fabric is perfect for the lining.

Congrats on the pending publication. Yeah they probably don't want you saying or showing much of your project till the article comes out. I'm sure you will update when you are able.

Bente-I like to QuiltBlog said...

Love the fabrics you've used and I do look forward to see the quilt from the first picture.

Pam @Threading My Way said...

A bright, fun book bag!

Kirsten said...

Love your book bag - very cool fabrics! And congrats too for the upcoming publication!

tink's mom said...

Love the shark bag. Congrats on the publishing of your work.

gpc said...

Great book bags! I would gladly use those! :)

Jane's Quilting said...

Your book bag is great. And the fabric choose was perfect!

Quilt n Queen said...

Love the hand dyed fabric... perfect for the shark patrol book bag...a great idea. Congrats on having your quilt published. Thanks for sharing!! Happy stitching, Pauline

evelyn said...

Congrats on being published. Love the book bag, and the bright colours

Amy said...

The book bag is super cute. Can't wait to see the finished quilt gracing a magazine. :)

Joanne said...

Congratulations on getting published! I love the shark fabric and can think of lots of ways I could use it. I really like the book bags. They are just the right size and seem to be very versatile. Thanks for sharing your creations with us today.

CarolB said...

Will look forward to seeing the whole quilt -- where will it be published? Great book bag, a boys' essential!

Scrapbook-ChickADoodle said...

Congrats on being published. It looks awesome so far. Great book bag. Terrific fabric. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Love the bag, and the colours. Thanks for sharing

LJ said...

What a unique idea to use fabric for the folder. Yep, he's going to love knowing at a glance which folder is his. Adorable fabric.